Friday, January 20, 2006

The Environment and Individual Responsiblity

We scheduled the next meeting for TUESDAY February 21st, 7p in James Lobby. (I need to check with facilities yet.) We chose a topic focusing on how individuals can take responsibility for their actions, can behave in ways they think are moral, within systems that cause undesirable, immoral effects. That’s too abstract. We decided to focus on the environment. How do your actions unintentionally harm the environment? Is there anything realistic you can do to significantly reduce that harm? How responsible are you for the harm your actions cause?

I'll work on making it more specific. Suggestions are welcome. . .

Chris

*** note another date change. Feb 14th is Valentines, so I moved it later in the month. Thanks Leigh.

5 Comments:

Blogger LD said...

um, so. It's made out of people?

How our actions unintentionally harm the environment. We could talk about birth control or eating "wild" animals.

The following article and website remind me of the setting in Soylent Green:

http://comment.independent.co.uk/commentators/article338830.ece

http://www.fisherycrisis.com/


I came across these on another "blog" of sorts. They follow the-world-is-coming-to-an-end mentality, but I think they are worth a once over.

Oh, and, strange fish: http://www.hindu.com/2006/01/08/stories/2006010802862000.htm

9:52 AM  
Blogger LD said...

maybe we can tour a factory farm. that could be enlightening. I wonder if there is one within an hour of Centenary. I suppose they wouldn't be too keen on allowing a bunch of college students to tour their facilities. Hm.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Oh man-- having recently transitioned BACK to vegetarian, touring a factory farm would be good for me. But heartbreaking. But enlightening. I dunno. Good idea but it makes me nervous.

1:28 PM  
Blogger CSC said...

I know there are factory farms between here and Arkansas. There are some sheds that say "Tyson" on the side. As for a tour, quite unlikely. Even if they give us one, it would only be to pre-planned areas.

If you wanted a picture, though, we could show Peaceable Kingdom. (Some of you watched this last year.) I'm not in favor, since I think the issue would become more about animals than personal responsiblity.

Good luck with all that transitioning, Rachel.


Chris

11:45 AM  
Blogger LD said...

With the idea of "personal responsibility" in mind, are we asking what we owe to the global community?

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home